Friday, January 10, 2014

SEEING THE GOOD DOCTOR


Once a year I go off my rocker and visit Dr. Strangeglove for fixing a virus. It seems every year around January or February I get a bug that will not leave me, so off to the practitioner of healing herbs, medicinal potions and cranky politics.

Dr. Strangeglove
The women who run his office have been doing it for several years now, since the closing days of World War II, having escaped the hell of Germany and found their way to Brazil, then Holbrook, Long Island, New York.

And so I will enter the doctor’s office and the one behind the glass partition will eye me suspiciously and ask my name, pull out my file and ask if anything has changed since my last visit. I will of course make her nuts when I say ‘Yes, I’m sicker’ and she will ask me what is wrong. I will not tell her and we will begin the slow circle dance of annoyance.

Why should I tell the receptionist what is wrong? Will she recommend a course of action with an insightful diagnosis, or should I get that from Dr. Strangeglove? Him I am paying, her, she’s along for the ride, and doesn’t own any medical certificates. Yes, I am a troublemaker.

Many years ago, I had a child that was very ill and I called the pediatrician, and got the receptionist on the phone, whom; may or may not have been a nurse. She gave me her advice and as a young scared parent, I followed it, only to have to call back the office angrily and ask for the doctor. He in turn was angry also at the advice given. Since that day, I will NEVER listen to a receptionist or nurse when seeking a medical opinion. I have the upmost respect for the nurses of the world, all they do for so little compensation and even less respect, but I want the best possible advice I can get.

So in about an hour I will lock horns with another self=described expert and she will not be happy.

No comments: