Sunday, January 19, 2014

STAY-NOW ROLL OVER


When the American and global economy took a stumble in the fall of 2008, many families had to find ways to economize. Those who were struggling or were carrying debt were particularly crippled by the downturn. Finding themselves unable to meet mortgage and rent payments the recession hit those of greater financial means as well. Many families comfortable economically tightened their belts. Eating out less and cooking more, they took fewer vacations (remember when the word "staycation" entered our parlance?), and generally found ways to stretch the dollar.

As you know by now, I have been fighting off the affects of pneumonia, and I hear it will be around for at least another 4 weeks. The most you can do for yourself is rest. Rest is supposed to make me better.

I have four beautiful sisters, all of them are wonderful ladies with their own distinct personalities, and all, like me are sharing a particular family event that needs our close attention, mainly my mother’s health.

Coupled with the fact that I live an active retirement, with a synopsis I am writing for a memoire, researching material for another book, and painting an oil painting with another waiting, I am active and very busy with the agency where I am on the board of directors, plus I chair a 50th Reunion for my high school classmates. I can’t sit still.

My sisters want me to go on a ‘staycation’! Why, because it takes rest to rid oneself of the affects of pneumonia. They want me to stay away form Mom, stay away from doing anything but rest!  How well would that go?

I found out long ago, that sitting around all day, watching a TV or even reading a book only leads me to the refrigerator, where I find something to make, get a yen to cook, then while cooking dreaming up recipes that lead me back to the creative process, where I will then get behind my computer and type, tire of sitting, go to my studio and paint.

I think my sisters have hatched a sinister plan to drive me crazy, and so they call me and tell me to stay away, “rest” and they’ll call me, I shouldn’t call them.

Nah!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Take care of yourself, amigo.