Friday, January 24, 2014

WHAT GOES AROUND: COMES AROUND!


Life is funny, it is so unpredictable, and sadly so sometimes.

As I visited Mom, one of the things I find myself doing is feeding her. I take the time to cut her food and be patient with feeding her. Her arms can’t do it anymore: her hands can’t be there to care for herself. So God sometimes gives me the job.

At first I thought: Should I be doing this? Then I realized I should have asked to do it. I should have pushed everything aside and told everyone to stand back, I have to do this. I have to serve mom, take care that she eats and eats well. I have to wipe her chin, clean her mouth, feed her and do all the things she did for me so long ago.

When I come to visit her, often she is asleep and I have to gently nudge her, call her and when she awakens, she sees me and a smile crosses her lips. So many years ago, when I decide to join the world, I gave her the nudge and with great pain that every mother feels, she lovingly gave bird to her child. Then when she was done suffering the pain of delivery, she worried, worked and prayed about me, like she did for all her children. In days when her own health was poor, she stood her ground to see her babies were fed, that they were safe and cared for.

When it was time to let us go and marry or go off to school, she didn’t stop loving us, she prayed more and had faith that what she raised would survive.

So there I stand, in the service of Mom, when she needs us most. We will try to preserve her dignity, her honor always in front of us, for she gave her all for us to be there for her when she needed us the most.

It is a difficult time for me to see mom so worn out, so sick and frail, and knowing that she needs help to survive. But I love the fact that at least in her suffering, that I can come in and help her, feed her and advocate for her, and above all, make her smile, even if it is a little.

So life continues and the roles reverse themselves. From caring for me, I care for her. I thank God for this honor.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

She couldn't ask for a better son, Joe. Hang in there.

Laura ESL Teacher said...

It can't be easy to do this. But the best gift you can give your Mom is your presence and patience. We are thinking of you.