Tuesday, January 28, 2014

WHEN IT’S COLD AND GREY


Writing this blogue everyday, it is meant to be but a diary to some degree about my life experiences, memories and a record of events in the world as they transpired. January 28 is one of these days that hold deep and lasting memories for me, significance beyond the ordinary.

I look out the window, and all I see is snow that covers the grounds, sits on tree branches and over the roofs of buildings. Smoke from fired chimneys curling high into the sky, only remind me of the cold facts that are. It gives me a feeling of cold reality that I face today. Mom is losing her physical freedom, condemned because she is almost 96, and her body can’t keep up with her mind. That is not all I it gives me, it gives me a deep and lasting reminder of what was and what could have been.

It was 33 years ago, that I crossed the cemetery and walked the snowy path toward my little son’s grave, on a cold snow covered day, and said one last goodbye to his physical being. I don’t remember more that the bright sun, the iciness and the fact that I couldn’t see much, because it is hard to see through tear-filled eyes. I remember making tracks in the icy snow-covered ground, the crunching of the snow as I stepped toward the crowd that gathered around the resting place. I remember holding my wife and seeing the faces that shrouded themselves in the solemnity of the moment.

One life has had so much: a youth, marriage, children, great and grand children: days of laughter and of good times and bad… life. Yet the other life had nothing but illness and death, and this is what I compare on this day.

And so today I make a comparison of the two lives, one for an old life that holds truths, memories and one life that had so little time. I wonder why that must be so, I wonder why some of us live and some of us don’t. Then I remember what I have always told myself: that one hundred years from now, no one individual will either care or wish to remember. That is the greater part of life, not to dwell on what was but to move forward to what will be.


1 comment:

Princess Pat said...

The weather sure doesn't help. That's a given but right now you have
alot on your plate, Joe, and I understand since it seems like only yesterday I was in your shoes regarding your mom. I fortunately can never understand a loss of a child but I can only say I sympathize.
I will continue my prayers for your mom and your son but soon you will have a grandchild to make you smile again.