Thursday, February 06, 2014

I DON’T KNOW, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?


Recently, TLW (The Little Woman) offered me two choices of entertainment for a short vacation to Myrtle Beach we are going on. One was for a Do Wop show and one for a magic show. For the short amount of time we will be there, I figure one or the other, I like magic, especially when people I don’t like disappear and I do love Rock N’ Roll.

Offering me her I-pad, I look at the short clip for the Do Wop and say: “I don’t know, what do you prefer? This is marriage politics at its finest, a lesson to those young newly weds and about to be married about the art of marital politics.

Being the victim of four sisters growing up, I soon learned that it wasn’t going to be about me, but those little princesses that flew over my head during my younger years! Being married has not caused me to falter, miss a beat or misstep. The only attitude is not to have a preference when it comes to TLW, let her have whatever she wants. This philosophy does fall short however when there is a stick of pepperoni or donuts involved.

From my standpoint, it really doesn’t matter what I want, nothing is that important that I need to have my way all the time, and I found out that sometimes TLW does do the very same thing. Not surprised, nor unexpected. My sacrifices are based on being contented in life with TLW.

However there are times when it gets a little dicey, for instance when we are driving and coming to a fork in the road.

Me: “Which way do I go?”
TLW: “I don’t know, which way do you want to go”

Another favorite is: We are planning to go out for dinner and I don’t have a preference, and neither does she.
Me: “Chinese?”
TLW: “Or do you want Italian?”
Me: “Uhhh…”
TLW: :Or do you want to try a steak house?”
Me: “Well…”
TLW: “There’s that NEW place in East Islip…”
Me: “Uh…”
TLW: “You want Chinese, we’ll go Chinese!”

Of course, vacations are not immune to choice and sacrifice. When we sightsee, usually we have an idea about what to see, just not what to see first! This can delay the start of the day, which includes where we go for breakfast, let alone lunch or dinner.

Fortunately, when I asked her to marry me, we didn’t have this problem, but that was the last time we didn’t!

No comments: