Monday, February 10, 2014

WHAT I KNEW I DIDN’T KNOW


Every man should have a wife, someone to set him straight and make him aware of what he needs.

TLW (The Little Woman) has through the years kept me informed, up to date and in the loop in my own personal affairs. Usually I’d be the last to know what is going on in my own business, but TLW minds it very well.

Being how I’m on a health kick, I told TLW of my intentions to start a new regimen of good health and clean eating. I am going to start to eat oatmeal, and not that quick 1-minute cooking or instant junk, but good hearty nutritious oatmeal.

Of course TLW always views my health plans with some kind of skepticism, but never says anything discouraging.

“Well, I think I’ll start eating oatmeal in the morning, I’ve been eating too many eggs and buttered rolls, I’m starting to feel guilty about the whole thing.”

“Good idea.”

“Yup, just plain old oatmeal, the kind you cook on a stove.”

“Get yourself some almond slivers or something to add flavor, too.”

“I thought I’d add cinnamon to it.”

“No, you don’t like cinnamon.”

“Huh! I thought I liked cinnamon?”

“Nope, you don’t like it.”

“All these years I’ve been fooling myself!”

“I’m telling you, you DON’T like cinnamon.”

The next day I take out a box of Irish Oatmeal and read the directions, and cook up a bowl that would make Ebenezer Scrooge jealous. With her back turned to me, I carefully slip in the cinnamon I don’t like, once again, fooling myself.

Boy, I wish I liked cinnamon, it taste so good!


1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I add toasted sunflower seeds (unsalted) and a tablespoon of maple syrup. Makes it taste less like asbestos.