Sunday, March 09, 2014

IT’S AMAZING WHAT LAUGHTER WILL DO!


I visited my mom and found her alone and dozing off as is her want. She looks pretty good and got a very good report from the head nurse.

Since she has no interest in the TV I thought I’d go there with a plan to lighten up her spirits, and what better way than some of the things she loved. I had the idea to take my I-pad and use YouTube as a source of my inspiration. One of her favorite entertainers was Perry Como, and so I found a Como tune and played it for her, as she got excited that he could appear at the will or whim of someone instantly.

As Como sang ‘And I love You So’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyc6QyDaOBg her eyes seemed to get somewhat dreamy as she said that he was her favorite singer. Lying in her bed she held onto the I-pad like she was steering it, a soft smile across her face and rapt attention as he serenaded her in her mind.
 
It then occurred to me that if music could do this to mom, someone who has lost interest or so she says, why not laughter? So I went back onto YouTube and dialed up Carol Burnett, and found the bit with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway in a dentist’s office, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk92O0SEjXc probably one of the funniest things on TV. Once again she held the I-pad, and started to laugh out loud, just like she used to do so many years ago, and so many times.

I guess the best medicine in the world is music and laughter, and in simple doses  it can make the world shine.

1 comment:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Mom has great taste in entertainers.
Glad you could make her smile.