Thursday, April 03, 2014

FROM THE PAST


As I sat in my chair one Saturday early afternoon, the phone rang wakening me from a soon self-induced coma. I answer it and immediately make myself known that I am still alive.

“Hello?” ‘Hello’ is my standard greeting, except for Christmas Day, when I go crazy and say “Happy Christmas” or “Merry Holiday”, making sure to offend everyone.

The voice on the other end starts in immediately, and I am flung back into the past and one of my favorite people. Pete San Chirico the Photographer www.petersanchiricophotography.com is on the other end!

I know Pete from the old days: in fact we had lunch one day back in 2012 on a March day. Pete was with another great guy from the past named Dominick.

Dominick, me and Pete
Pete and Dom as I call them, are like a husband and wife team, bickering, teasing and correcting each other like they have for years, and if you sit there, you will be entertained by it all.

After 3 hours and a few Manhattans later (like the old days) the check is placed on the table:

Pete: “Dom, I left my wallet home!” (He had just taken it out a few moments earlier)

Dom: “Why do I always get stuck with the check? Joe he does that to me at breakfast too! Well I don’t have enough cash for you!”

Pete: “Well use your credit card!” He then takes out his wallet and pays cash!

This is exactly what I deal with on the phone.

When I answered the phone, Pete says that Dom mentioned me at breakfast.

Dom: “Pete, are you going to call Joe?”
Pete: “You got the phone number! You were supposed to call him a long time ago!”

Then Pete tells me he winds up calling. To get back Pete tells me he has Dom in the car and will put him on speaker phone, but I should say: “Hey you #^&%)@! Son of a bitch, you don’t call?”

I do and…
Dom responds by saying:

“Hey Joe, Pete tells me you never liked him at work, is that true?”

And so I will go to lunch with these two characters, laugh myself silly, eat like a king and hoist a few, and I have it all because of an old pal named Bruce Green.

No comments: