Thursday, April 24, 2014

I DON’T UNDERSTAND IT


It seems every year about this time and a little earlier in the spring I go out for the first time and start working on my lawn. I think I’m crazy.

I have the front and back yards cleaned and the same lawn service puts down some fertilizer and then I like to take over for a while. I put down grass seed and any lime or other products I deem necessary and begin the hard work or getting a decent lawn.

This means paying close attention to certain troublesome spots that require more concern than others. After all, a lawn should look consistently good or bad, depending on the results you wish to achieve.

This is a time consuming process and does cost money. It means that once the project of prepping the lawn is started I need to stay on top of it. I pour more money into reseeding a second time and even more fertilizer, not to mention the water or sprinkling systematic plan for the rest of the summer and fall.

Once I am finished with getting the lawn started and on its way, something happens to me. That first lawn cutting begins from the lawn company, and I think, all that money, all that time, all that work, just so some guy can come and cut the grass? Seems a little silly to me, that time could be better spent napping, writing or eating! I pay all that money and effort for someone to come and cut the grass! Is there not a better payoff than that?

As I look around the neighborhood and see the other lawn warriors doing the same things I do, I wonder, did society somehow along the way lose its way? This is everyone’s priority? If you drive up and down the streets of America, you will see the silent challenges of the lawn warriors and their competition, their neighbors, and yet there is no first prize, there is no singling out or mention of who did the best job, no single accolade for all the fuss.

So what is the return? Well you say you have pride in your home, so you want to make it look nice, with cement blocks and statues, exotically trimmed bushes and trees, and the look of a major league baseball infield. But what do you have?

A SORE BACK!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I still like to putter around the yard but an hour is about my limit. The delayed Spring this year has cost me a few early plantings. Brooklynites have it right...cement over everything!