Saturday, May 17, 2014

OLD DESIGNERS NEVER DIE

-->
They just retire, but their work never does!

Every Sunday in the newspaper supplements there is an insert that I designed way back in 2004: that the insurance company still uses to this day. It makes me proud on the one hand that they still need it and mad on the other that I don’t get paid for it! It has been a big hit in increasing business and I have created a system for them to expand their business and get it going on a national scale. When I left the marketing company, they were insert 1.5 Billion inserts a year!

Then if you happen to go on Facebook or TV, again you will see my handiwork dating back to the early 90’s, when I was asked to design a large poster to show on TV for the Grand Prize winners TV commercials. I see this thing every year and sometimes many times in the course of the year.

It makes me feel good that something I did is so old and still being used. I’m sure my advertising instructors at New York Tech would be proud.

I remember when I started to freelance, and I was working for the U.S. Postal Service and I designed a whole bunch of stamp collection starter kits. One Saturday evening I was watching TV before dinner and there was this ad for stamp starter kids, about 1973, and something looked familiar and I couldn’t place it until I realize they were using my copy, and then there as plain as daylight, was a bunch of designs I did! What a thrill, they used my work.

There must be about 100,000 pieces I designed in my career, and it always made my blood rush, my excitement reach a high level and made me very happy. I guess you can NEVER take the designer out of the man. Just all the businesses I helped get off the ground  makes me proud too.

No comments: