Sunday, May 04, 2014

SAINTHOOD


Recently the Vatican made saints out of two former Popes, Pope John the XXIII and John Paul II. There was a significance in this in that Mom was watching, as was her Polish helper, Anna. Both ladies had an ethnical and religious stake in the canonization since one Pope was Italian and one was Polish, it kind of spoke about the history if our family.

So many years ago way back in 1962 or 63, a young Polish fellow appeared one night and the next thing I knew, he was married to my sister. So what happens? My younger sister meets this Polish fellow, and in spite of my warnings to him about what happened to the first Polish fellow, he married her anyway!
St. Joseph of Del Bloggolo

Well, being the brother of these two sisters that married Polish fellows, I propose sainthood for me. Yes, you read that correctly: me!  Why me? I’m glad you asked: because according to Wekipedia: “A saint is one who has been recognized for having an exceptional degree of holiness. While the English term "saint" originated in Christianity, historians of religion now use the term "in a more general way to refer to the state of special holiness that many religions attribute to certain people,"[1] with the Jewish Tzadik, the Islamic Mu'min, the Hindu rishi or guru, and the Buddhist arhat or bodhisattva also referred to as saints. Depending on the religion, saints are recognized either through official church recognition or by popular acclaim.”

I think somewhere in all that I qualify, having endured for so long from the slings and barbs of sisters who tried to cloister me into non-existence and only increased my sainthood qualifications. I think I can swing this through “popular acclaim” see the last sentence above.

Truly in my pious condition I can be considered a man who qualifies for that ‘special holiness’ that comes with being a saint: waiting for one of them to stop talking.

I will gladly wear the cloak of martyrdom for all who have lived the life of brotherhood, assuming the back seat of life, bearing the cross of continuous chatter, losing the grip on reality, as they the sisters have conspired to leave me in a place where one is forgotten.

Being a saint will have some consequences: no swearing out loud, and no more looking at hot babes, but then again at my age, I don’t remember why I did that last thing anyway.

Amen!
Saint Joseph of Del Bloggolo


No comments: