Sunday, June 15, 2014

DAD AND I

Happy Father’s Day to a wonderful man, my Dad. He was human in a very real sense, and if he had a fault, it was that he loved everyone. He taught me how to wield a hammer, fix a lamp, and treat people. He gave me wonderful memories and family history so rich and exciting that I miss hearing him tell me the stories.

He taught me to help those who could not help themselves, to be compassionate yet discerning and how to give your all when working.
He took me to my first baseball game, sometimes had too little patience and sometimes too much. He cared about me, worried and tried to be a good father. He failed, he was a GREAT father: to my 4 sisters and me.

You could always find him playing a prank on Mom, teasing one of us and on the other hand, helping us to establish our households when we started out in life.

He was a home body, a man who put his family first and himself last, just behind Mom, who seemed to push him away to be last. There was always laughter in the house and a warm sense of togetherness, for as a family we were happy with each other. We each had a special relationship with him that made him so special.

I hope you are playing a prank on Mom today, as you welcome her into Heaven with you. Oh by the way, the Mets still stink.

No comments: