Monday, June 02, 2014

HOW HIGH CAN SHE GO?


She's got a way about her
I don't know what it is, but I know that I can't live without her
She's got a way of pleasin'
I don't know why it is, but there doesn't have to be a reason anyway
She's got a smile that heals me
I don't know why it is, but I have to laugh when she reveals me
And she's got a way of talkin'
Don't know why it is, but it lifts me up when we are walkin' anywhere
She comes to me when I'm feelin' down, inspires me without a sound
She touches me and I get turned around
She's got a way of showin'
How I make her feel and I find the strength to keep on goin'
And she's got a light around her
And everywhere she goes, million dreams of love surround her everywhere
She comes to me when I'm feelin' down, inspires me without a sound
She touches me, I get turned around
She's got a smile that heals me
I don't know why it is, but I have to laugh when she reveals me
And she's got a way about her
I don't know what it is, but I know that I can't live without her anyway
Songwriters
JOEL, BILLY
Published by
Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

La Principessa
Every Sunday TLW (The Little Woman) and me try to have ‘Facetime” with la Principessa: Darby Shea, my gorgeous granddaughter. She gurgles, dribbles, drools and can on occasion spit up. God she is so cute!

But while I ooohhh and aaahhh, there is an amazing transformation going on. TLW gets hold of the I-pad and starts to talk to Miss Darby. Now she doesn’t use baby words, or silly names to convey her conversation, no instead something else happens. Her voice goes up three octaves, and can maintain the falsetto throughout the whole time!

Have you ever seen a happier Daddy?
She is not the only one to do that too. Her father does it, and I’m sure I must do it too. Of course Moms and grandmothers should get a free pass on this.

I get first bite of her cheeks!
What is it about adults that we do that kind of thing? Is it because we think babies respond better if you raise the pitch of your voice? Is it supposed to be a kinder voice? I always thought that soft low voices were better for babies to respond to, you don’t startle them and it calms them.

My mother used to talk in a soft low voice to me when I was a teenager, right before the wooden spoon, but never the high octave voice.

My new granddaughter is the image of her grandfather I said to TLW. Never mind, she said: just so long as she’s healthy.

Actually she s the image of her parents, I see both in la Principessa, thank God.

But that voice thing, just sayin’.

No comments: