Tuesday, June 24, 2014

MY FIRST PROFESSIONAL DAY


If you have watched that excellent series on HBO ‘MADMEN’ you will have a glimpse of life in an early 1970 ad agency, and the many characters that populate the agencies with many talents that bear upon the work that is generated. This dichotomy is extended outside the office with the same results as long as the characters are still in play.

After my initial interview with personnel (human resources) I was ushered into my new office by Jack Stern, my new boss on my first day on the job. Jack was a very laid back cool individual who hit it off with me immediately. My office was a corner office, with large windows all around me, facing both the west and north sections of the city. Looking out I could gaze upon Harlem and points north, or across the Hudson deep into New Jersey and on a clear day: points beyond.

Lawrence G. "Larry" Chait was an American advertising executive who was a pioneer in mail order and direct marketing. He was chairman of Lawrence G. Chait & Co. Inc in which I was now employed . He was President of the Direct Marketing Club of New York,and he was also my idol as a businessman, a prognosticator way ahead of his time and friend. I am proud of my time learning from him and along with Jack Stern my mentor, keeping the lessons to this day in my retirement.

But that first day… a day of absolute awe, and my first job, a mailing for 3M, creating logos, letter and brochure with an outer envelope and I was in charge! Me, in my suit and tie, with an office no less, wanted by these seasoned professionals to work along side them. Between shaking and being nervous, I began the process of work, and it helped me get through the nervousness, and the newness of being needed enough that someone would pay me for it.

"Jack"
Around noon, Jack asked me to get my coat and come with him. I wondered where we were going but being new on the block, didn’t question him. It hadn't occured to me that it was lunch time, or that with my nervousness I might be hungry.

Soon I found myself in an upscale Italian restaurant, eating Lobster for lunch! Mr. Stern on Mr. Chait’s orders was buying me lunch, and lobster no less! With the lunch came a phone call from Mr. Chait that was plugged into the table from whom else but Mr. Chait, a rather large man with a larger reputation explaining that he was sorry he couldn’t make the lunch with me but was committed to a previous engagement with a client. I was getting a little overwhelmed, and was now starting to wish I was home in my bedroom, sheltered from this gigantic new world.

During this time period there was a Broadway play called Sweet Charity and a tune: “If They Could See Me Now” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJ_6qTHgs4 that kept going through my head that afternoon after lunch. Sitting in my corner office, looking out at the big city, wondering if I would ever awaken from this fantastic dream. This would be one of the happiest days of my life, one that I often relive. Coming from a small community, struggling to pay for my education and struggling to get to school, this was the payoff, this was what I never thought would come to fruition, I had made it through my first professional day!

I couldn't wait to tell Mom and Dad, especially Dad, this was always his dream and I was living it!

Tomorrow: SOME OF THE CHARACTERS.

1 comment:

Diana said...

My goodness! How you remember names and detail just amazes me! That's so great. But anyway, I do watch that show "mad men", on early Sunday morning, enjoy it very much, but I think they have a little more going on "after hours" . Love it! :-))