Saturday, November 15, 2014

EVERY NOW AND THEN

-->
It seems that lately we hear a lot of negativity about the younger generation, how they don’t care, have their noses in their cell phones and seem disinterested in their jobs, especially the service industry where many are hired.

Recently TLW (The Little Woman) asked me to get a birthday card for someone in the family at a certain stationary store. The store is small with a steady business, not overwhelming, but it does enough to survive. The people who run it are Americans born here. Very nice and cordial, they tend to be helpful and their prices are good, and because they are so close to home, there I went.

a store just like this one
On entering the store, I hear from a distance a friendly greeting! I look around and see this young lady standing in an aisle who is tending to a card rack. Since she is in the aisle, I ask her where the birthday cards for 70-year olds are. She points to the next aisle and tells me where approximately they would be on the left. I head down the aisle and stopped where she says, but I don’t see them! She comes running down the aisle and picks up the small spot where these cards are, and I once again thank her. She smiles and begins sweeping the floor in front of the counter and I think: she is a very busy storeowner! Suddenly in the middle of the seeping, she directs me to some boxes on the back wall where she says there are more cards, I go through the box and she calls out from the front. I can’t hear what she is saying because the overhead music is so loud. (God forbid we didn’t have overhead loud and obnoxious music to listen to in public places) Once more she comes sailing down the aisle with a smile on her face and rescues me from frustration. I continue my search and decide on a card.

As I approach the counter, she is standing behind it and takes the card and my money. I ask her if she is the owner of the store. Her face takes a funny turn and says: “No, I work here.” I said: ”Well, you are certainly doing a commendable job, like you own the place.” She smiles a little and says she has a nice boss and likes him. I said that perhaps they are nice because she does such a great job and leave.

I thought as I left the store that it was wonderful to see such a good worker who is conscientious, acts like an adult and engages you with a smile and going out of her way help. I guess she put to rest the complaints that ALL young people don’t care. Good for her and her generation, good for me and good for her boss!








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm



DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!


3 comments:

Avid reader said...

It's not so much that all of the generation doesn't care, it's just a shame that it is far and few between. It has become the "me " generation, most out of control, and we just hope and pray for a better world with the next generation coming up, back to morals & basics, as we say. Nice to see you can still find people like that.

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started on those damned greasers. They'd rather be racing cars and home listening to doo wop or watching american bandstand than take any sort of accountability . they're more concerned with hanging out on street corners and going to sock hops than working minimum wage. Stupid kids.

Avid reader said...

That last comment HAS to be a joke, or just our "ignorant" blog buster is back. Hope it's a joke.