Tuesday, November 04, 2014

OH SAY CAN YOU SAY?


It was the pregame ceremony of the fifth game of the 2014 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals, and to sing our National Anthem was the one and only Aaron Lewis, the lead singer of Staind. The crowds stood in reverence to the flag and listened to a great talent do his thing. Unfortunately so did the viewers at home.

"What so proudly we hailed were so gallantly streaming."

Huh? Is that right? The fans in the stands seemed to be asking the same question, some singing
it in their minds and trying to figure it out.

The correct lyrics are:

"What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming."

As for Mr. Lewis, here is what he had to say:

“All I can say is: I'm sorry and ask for the Nation's forgiveness. My nerves got the best of me and I am completely torn up about what happened. America is the greatest country in the world. The Star-Spangled Banner means so much to so many, including myself. I hope everyone can understand the intensity of the situation and my true intent of this performance. I hope that the Nation, Major League Baseball and the many fans of our national pastime can forgive me.”

Now this is something that is perfectly understandable and probably happens to everyone at one time or another when we try alone, let alone with TV cameras and thousands of fans in the stands!

Have you gone to church and they ask you to sing, what happens? A few sing, but most don’t, they ‘sing’ under their breath, staring straight ahead and not looking at anyone, in a trance like state. God forbid a priest, minister or rabbi happen t look your way, then you mouth the words and make it look like you are singing out loud, making the priest think: “Wow, he is really into it!”

Same holds true for the National Anthem, we stand in a ball park and the music starts and we mouth the words, fearing someone hearing us and saying: SHUTUP, PULEEEASE! No, we are too vain to be heard unless under duress.

So to Aaron Lewis, on behalf of most of the American public I say: You are forgiven, no need to apologize or feel any shame. If I had national TV staring me in the face and surrounded by 50,000 screaming lunatics, I’d flub too. So all is forgiven and God bless America. (You can sing that in your head silently, if you remember the words)








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!









No comments: