Monday, November 10, 2014

THE THINGS I DO FOR LOVE

-->
It was a cold, rainy Saturday night in early November. The sounds of the wind made it seem prohibitive to go outside or drive anywhere. After a nice steak dinner with a salad and a few drinks, I sat in my easy chair and leaned back, booting the old Boob Tube for an evening of mindless entertainment.

Across from me sat TLW (The Little Woman) and faithful guide for over 43 years, as she remarked how terrible it did indeed sound outside. The darkness at the end of this particular day and the late hour it was, seemed to punctuate her statement that it was miserable out there.

I turned on the TV to watch the news when suddenly, TLW made an announcement.

“Joe? I won’t do it, that is go, but if you want Carvel Ice cream, you’d have to drive.

“Huh?” (I should have been an English major.)

“If you want the ice cream you have to drive to get it.”

“Ice cream? Go out and get it?”

“Yes, only if you want.”

Not wanting any ice cream, and not wanting to go out in the nasty weather, I put on my shoes and asked her what she wanted.

Getting into my car, I pulled out of the driveway and asked myself two questions; 1) Do I really want any ice cream? And 2) Do I really want to be out in this rainy, cold mess?

Arriving at the ice cream store, I park where I want because it is 45 degrees, raining, and windy, and there is no one else at the store. I enter and three ladies are standing behind the counter as I enter, looking at me like I might be robbing them with my rain hat and leather jacket on.

They take my order and I leave, feeling like they the sales help were thinking who is this guy?

Getting wet again, I drive home in the traffic of glaring lights, windshields that won’t wipe clearing enough because it is raining so hard the windshield wipers can’t keep up. I enter the house and across the way sits my bride of 43 years, under a blanket in her pajama’s and I ask: “You aren’t pregnant by any chance?”







Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!

1 comment:

Avid reader said...

All I can say to that is, "you're a good man, Joseph!"