Thursday, November 06, 2014

TODAY’S MAN

-->
You know me, I don’t like to complain or criticize, but then again, yes I do so here it comes.

I’ve been getting a little depressed lately watching society change and go kind of down hill. Now I’m not a clotheshorse or a prude. I don’t consider myself conservative or liberal, just middle of the road on most things. But as I gaze out my window of life, things are getting depressing!

For instance: looking at how men dress and present themselves these days, and I’m talking about young men, it strikes me that some of societies norms have become un-normal, or have run off the track.

If you ride the railroad, there they are, in a parking garage you find more, in a restaurant, you find the rest, guys with their baseball caps the peak usually behind them to the left or right, I guess according to either politics or proclivity. I recall when they started to wear earrings, something that when I first saw it I was shocked! Earrings: on a man is just too sissified for me to appreciate. My mother wore earrings, my sisters wore earrings, my grandmother and aunts wore earring. Even old Miss Langon my first grade teacher wore earrings: in fact she had them on in her coffin! But Dad didn’t: man, I don’t know, maybe they are trying to get in touch with their inner feminine side. If that wasn’t bad enough, they now have: ‘man purses’, I repeat myself: My mother had a purse, my sisters had a purse, my grandmother and aunts had a purse. Even old Miss Langon my first grade teacher had a purse: in fact she had it with her in her coffin!

I remember Dad coming home from the job during the 1940’s and 1950’s: he climbed the two flights of steps, came into the apartment and dropped his fedora on the dinning room table. That was my first sense of a man. When I went out I saw other fedoras on heads and figured they were all men and daddies! But that tradition died during the 1960’s a slow death but it did die.

Then ties and styles of jackets changed and so it went until we reached the point of abandoning men’s styles after the Edwardian look, to something that was generic.

Accessorizing was done with cigarettes. In the old days men smoked to show they were stylish, sophisticated and manly. (Actually the manly men smoked them backwards), and Dad was a smoker. He smoked Raleigh’s Cigarettes, because of Mom. Mom wasn’t a smoker but insisted if Dad was going to smoke and leave her with nothing, at least leave her with coupons so she could redeem them for his coffin! She would admonish Dad every time he took out a cigarette: “Sure, put another nail in your coffin!”

Then when the 1960’s hit, everything became boring after the Edwardian look left, skinny ties hung around and plaid was everywhere: jackets, underwear and ties. And so we plowed through the decades until we run into the 21st Century and the butt cheek, you know, where the crack looks like a giant vertical wrinkle sticking out of the back of the pants that hang at the hips. Baseball caps became a fashion statement. In the 70’s and 80’s the caps were worn correctly, with the visor in the front because that is where you squinted from the sun. Then suddenly visors were worn in the back and soon shifted to where they are today at one side or the other. This may be because people were having strange children with eyes in the sides and towards the back of the head. This may not be as strange s you think since I know for a fact that Mom had eyes in the back of her head.

But as I look at the yoyo’s I see what I think is the future, everybody on welfare, no one capable, and no one caring. The good news is I will be dead by the time they totally take over-I hope. Hats on wrong, tattooed like a walking comic book, not able to write in script nor read it, pants down around the knees as the walk around, and talking like: “Yo! Whazzup mybrudder?”








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Their zoot suits are what really gets me. That, and the fact that theyre always blasting Lawrence welk and looking like idiots doing the charleston and using their jive-talk.