Sunday, November 09, 2014

TRICK OR TREAT SMELL MY FEET GIVE ME SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT!

-->
One of my earliest recollections in life was a Halloween Party hosted by my family. I remember a witch coming and scaring me to death: as she seemed so eerie. I don’t think I was more than 4 years of age.

As I got older, my sister and I would have our own party, bobbing for apples and my mouth was not yet large enough too capture an apple with my hands behind my back. There was the candy corn and some kind of cupcakes or cakes decorated in black and orange icing.

Soon I was out on the street as I aged, joining my sister and friends as we dressed as hobos, and maybe a mask if you were rich. I had on my dad’s tie, maybe his shoes and jacket and we went from apartment house to apartment house, ringing doorbells and yelling: “Tick or treat!” Sometimes in unison we would sing: “Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!” Most times we were not greeted with candy but a hearty: “Get the hell outta here!” These people are the ones we loved, because we would ring all the doorbells on the mailbox bank and run like hell.

We used chalk in long stockings, flour if you could get it without Mom knowing and colored chalk to mark up property and fellow trick-or-treaters! Life was good, there were no parents to follow us, and when or if we got a treat it was usually a piece of fruit such as an apple or orange, or a few pennies or nickel pretty sad, no?

Well now they come to my door this past Halloween, and it got me thinking about the old days. First they are all organized by their cell-phone parents, on eye on their kid and one on the phone. They have costumes… not homemade, but store bought, and in my day if you wore one store bought, we beat you up!

One kid looked like he drove to my house, some I think were making a second tour, I guess something like a Derrick Jeter farewell tour! What bothered me was one little kid was wearing a costume and holding his ear the entire time, with a very unhappy face. First I thought it was part of the schtick, but finally I asked: “What’s wrong with that boys ear?” The mother casually tells me: “He says he has an earache.” Nice.

Well, that was Halloween, some years no one comes and some years the parents need to get a hobby or more sleep!








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!


No comments: