Thursday, November 20, 2014

WITH A SONG IN MY HEAD…

-->
I love music, I hear something for the first time or from the past I haven’t heard in a long time, and I immediately love it. The problem is it doesn’t go away, it plays round and round in my head and I can’t get rid of it. One such song is Any Dream Will Do, with its vocal backgrounds and steady beats supplying the beautiful lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeSYfO2mBoI

So to get relief from this constant onslaught I thought to myself I have: “With a song in my head!” a take off of that old ditty standby that is sung back in the 40’s and 50’s I looked up the lyrics from: With A Song In My Heart, and you guessed it, that is now playing around between my ears!

The first instrument I was introduced to was a pair of sticks. The teacher gave them to me and I didn’t have a clue what they were for or how to play them. So once the Kindergarten class of 1950 started their involuntary symphony, I used the two sticks as batons, yes leading the class with both hands, it was then that
Sister Mary Hairy had me clap them together.

I never had the urge to join a band, since it meant marching, which meant long walks, which meant getting tired. My philosophy is why make myself tired, angry or hungry, such needless actions that only interfere with naps and create misery. Since marching does that to me, I avoid it.

I’m not a parade goer, hating parades since I struck a deal with my parents when I needed a camera for photography class in college, and it meant I now had to photograph two little sisters in a band, a total mindless deal. I should have brought sketches to my parents instead.

It seems that every Broadway show I go to, especially musicals, the music is so good I leave the theater singing show tunes in my head, which last at least until I’m done eating at the restaurant that usually follows the show.


Verdi’s Grand March is another tune that has visited me all too often.


Infringement on my skull also includes Strauss and his Blue Danube.

But the music I keep hearing over and over again, comes from the choice I made way back when, when I got married and selected Ode to Joy by Beethoven as some of the music at the church ceremony. That stemmed from my senior design project: 9 album covers for Beethoven’s 9 symphonies.


Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy rock and roll and standard ballads by more contemporary singers and some not so contemporary, and they too have stuck the music between the ears for days at a time. But the most egregious music is one by Petula Clarke, who I was in love with in my college years. The song was Downtown and the weird thing is that it bothered my Dad even more.

It seems one summer I was working at my father’s place of business, and there was a fellow classmate of mine working there too in our high school senior year. She was a nice gal with a great sense of life and humor, and had a portable radio, which she played constantly to the delight of yours truly. Once old Petula came on the air with Downtown, up went the volume and down went Dad’s will to live, he would go home and complain about the song. He didn’t have the heart to tell her to shut it off, and so he suffered. When he wanted me to do something I didn’t feel like doing, I would sing Downtown which turned him off to thinking, losing his train of thought.

Sorry Dad, I was a rotten kid! Well rested but rotten.









Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm



DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!


No comments: