Friday, December 05, 2014

SANTA GRANDPA IS COMING TO TOWN

-->
For many, many years I have been playing the part of Santa Clause for people with developmental disabilities, and I love it. I go to a Christmas dance they have and play Santa and I go to one of the residences. The dance has a great number of people who attend and they want a picture of Santa with them, so I gladly do it.

The residence is a smaller quieter affair for about 8 people, all adults that can’t speak or function too well, and this is a labor of love for me beyond question, it is a wonderful half hour, I take a picture or two, hand out presents and leave. Usually staff brings their children and I take pictures with them too.

I usually return the costume a few days before Christmas and often wish I had a grandchild I could wear the suit for, and this year the wish has come true. I am a happy grandpa! Beautiful Darby is coming around the 19th, and I will use the Santa Costume at some point to get a picture of her with Santa. I did it last year for a niece and a nephew, and so I will for beautiful Darby.

Since little Darby Shea is coming for Christmas, I am busy getting the house ready for her. It has to be a magical place where she can amuse herself, wonder and be happy: it’s my job to see she does. I have never been so happy, especially this year without Mom who passed in June.  Darby is a bigger gift than I imagined.

I’ve decided Darby can do anything, she is so bright I hope she doesn’t out-smart me. She will have me as her assistant and we will learn some songs, maybe a lullaby or two, and maybe I’ll teach her some things that any baby who has Italian blood in her should know. There will be a lot of camera time, and a lot of playtime for her and Grandpa. It will be the best Christmas I will ever have until the next one.








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should

No comments: