Thursday, December 11, 2014

SCOOTER


Years ago I used to know a guy who was rather short, but was always scurrying around, doing things efficiently and as a result quickly. I used to call him: ‘Scooter’. He was the kind of guy that made life easier for every one who knew him, never missing a beat, on time with his work and on time when I needed him.

Then there was the famous Scooter, Phil Rizzuto, the 1940’s and 50’s New York Yankee shortstop, another quick guy who made the Yankees champions by doing his part of the teamwork. Scooting around the base paths, covering the hole in deep short and the second base bag on the double play, a true Hall of Famer for sure.

And so, so many years later there is another scooter in my world. TLW (The Little Woman) has replaced her short but steady and productive strides with a knee scooter, since she ruptured her Achilles tendon. Tossing the crutches away like she visited Lourdes, that the Orthopedist provided for something more productive, Madame has decided that instead of my steady stream of inept help, she rather do some things herself if she can.

Years ago when I had a by-pass operation and was sent home, I was totally useless for a while, as opposed to being totally useless all the time. TLW took on the mantle of caregiver and took care of me without question, without grief and with a smile. It was easy for her, she sat me in my chair and said: “stay there and I be back at 5:30 pm. Don’t go anywhere!” 

When she wasn’t working she was right there, always doing something for me, never hesitating, never complaining and never missing a beat. I was in good hands, and so I owe her and owe her big time.

So when we got the scooter for her under the doctor’s prescription, she was freed to be herself almost. She still can’t drive, and she still can’t do much, but she is doing enough just by scooting around the house, still giving me orders, but more independently.








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!


No comments: