Saturday, December 13, 2014

THIS S A WORKOUT!?


I’ve been going to the gym 3 days a week now for about a month. I take the weekends off and Monday, Wednesday and Friday I’m there. It is only about 40 minutes at a stretch, but I do enjoy it and may expand it.

My time on the gym floor is somewhat interesting, in that there are many people my age and even younger who are there at 7:00 am working out, or should be. To me, to work out you need to work, not stop and chat, not check your cell phone, and certainly not rest. You go all out full throttle, or it doesn’t help.

Yet I see people sit on the apparatus, look at their I-phones, rest or chat, and I wonder how they are getting any benefit from the time they spend. I like to move on to the next piece of the apparatus in my routine, yet people sit in these things and hold court, chatting and lending their personal philosophies to the eager and unwashed, hanging onto every word,

One young lady sat in one of those contraptions and turned on her I-phone, disrupting her momentum, staring into the phone and I wonder why?

Then there are the young guys, who only lift weights, they strut and walk around, lift some weights and walk around some more.  They flex their muscles, look at themselves in the mirrors that surround you and this is a workout. I look at their stomachs and see the gut, but the arm muscles are important to them. I wonder how long they will last!

There are the bottle people, the ones that bring a bottle of water and sip their way through the routines they have, sit on the apparatus and just stare into outer space: this is a routine in itself also.

Then there are the old, old guys, they look at you and stare, get on a piece of apparatus and use it, then stop, then use it then stop, staring into outer space and looking like they need someone to talk to. They are all having trouble walking, take a long time to do something and show up every day. These are the guys that want to work out, but it is hard when you are in your 70’s. There are older women too, who work out, chat and sit in the apparatus, stare out and come every morning.  These are my people, not doing it for any reason than to improve their health.

I guess what I’m driving at is that people join a gym, work out for all kinds of reasons, but don’t go anywhere, often defeating themselves in the end.








Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Joseph at the gym...I'm impressed my man. Keep up the good work. (No Dunkin Donuts around there I hope.)

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Actually the place is surrounded with temptations! Burger King, Mac Donald's, Chinese buffet and a Checkers, not to mention the deli.