Friday, January 30, 2015

DADDY’S SING-A-LONG


Miranda likes to sing, and whenever she begins, her husband heads outside.

Hurt and a little dejected, she asked him, "Don't you like my singing?"

"Of course, Dear," he replied. "I just want to make sure the neighbors know I'm not beating you."

In Napoli where love is king
When boy meets girl here’s what they say

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie that’s amore
When the world seems to shine
Like you’ve had too much wine that’s amore

Bells will ring ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling
And you’ll sing, “Vita bella”
Hearts will play tippy-tippy-tay, tippy-tippy-tay
Like a gay tarantella

When the stars make you drool
Just like a pasta fazool that’s amore
When you dance down the street
With a cloud at your feet you’re in love

When you walk in a dream
But you know you’re not dreaming signore
Scuzza me, but you see
Back in old Napoli that’s amore.

Every time I go to pick up my daughter from her home in Shoreham/Wading River, I have to sing in the car to her. This makes her giggling and happy for the duration of the ride. I try to sing happy songs so that she doesn’t get into a funk because her old man is singing!

That’s Amore is her favorite along with Eh, Cumpare, her all-time favorite because I have to go through the list of instruments in the correct order.

The problem is my fellow drivers; as they watch me as they pass by, my singing with my hands and making gestures for Ellen’s amusement. The really annoying ones stay with me mile for mile, as they call the attention of their rotten kids to watch the crazy old man do his thing. My daughter just claps her hands and wildly swings her hands and arms to my cackling.
 
Stopping for a light will bring on a rush of embarrassment and I have to stare straight ahead, like I don’t know or care that someone is staring at me, because I have to belt it out once we start moving. If it makes my little girl happy, then I don’t really care enough to stop.

But if I stop, then there is a disappointment showing on her sweet face as I gaze into the rear-view mirror, as she waits for me to start up once again in the true Daddy-Daughter tradition of a song I used to sing to her, even as a little girl.

 


LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, it will put a song in your heart!


No comments: