Tuesday, January 13, 2015

WARMING A COLD DAY


The manager of a large office noticed a new man one day and told him to come into his office.
"What is your name?" was the first thing the manager asked him. "John," the new guy replied. The manager scowled, "Look, I don't know what kind of a namby-pamby place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by their first name. It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority. I refer to my employees by their last name only - Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all. I am to be referred to only as Mr. Robertson. Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?" The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling." "Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you is..."

There in the convenient store stood the old man, a look of confusion on his face. It was 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside and everyone you looked at felt the urgency to get done and get warm.  The gal behind the counter started to try calming the old man as he had a panicked look on his face. There were just too many bags for him to carry a long distance. People around him became uncomfortable and watched in silence, waiting for this episode to be over, eyes rolling shifting their weight from one foot to the other. The old man had to walk a distance to his home in this windy cold weather and the struggle would be greater if he had to lug all these groceries home.

Watching the scene I hear the old man ask if he could put some items back. Looking at him, he seemed disappointed and looked like he wanted to cry. Stooped, as he was, a very short and slightly built man, I couldn’t help myself and had to ask: “Mister, do you need a ride?” His eyes came alive almost immediately and smiled at me saying: “YES!” I was suddenly his angle as he called me and the people around him seemed relieved they would not have to contend with the old man anymore, slowing their day as it were.

Paying for my groceries we left together and he strolled behind me at his own pace, struggling with his purchases. Stopping in my tracks to the car I turned and saw his struggle and took his bags from him, placing them in the back seat. With great precision he gave me directions to his home. His directions were to someone who did not know his neighborhood, although I did, but he needed to make sure. He also needed to assure me that he was not a bother, that the ride would not be all that long.  The distance was long and seemed somewhat of a burden to walk it in the frigid cold we were experiencing.

“I really appreciate this, the cold came on for a short time and it is cold!” When we finally arrived at his home after numerous turns guided by his precise directions, we arrived at his home, a rather nice place with a white pickup truck and a business panel truck parked in the driveway. I couldn’t help but think why no one was doing this for the old man? Was this his home, or was he renting space?

“My name is Albert!” he said, waiting for me to respond, a slight smile on his face as he stared ahead. I stuck out my hand and said: “My name is Joe!” He smiled and said: “Joe! Is that an Italian Joe?” “Yes it is.” I said. “Ah, What could be better than a Joe and an Albert in a car?”

What indeed on a cold day no less?





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, it's the People's Choice!



1 comment:

Diana said...

I HAVE to comment on that. You did such a wonderful thing, Joseph, that it makes ME feel good that we still have "real" people in this world of today that really have a heart, that do care about "the other guy". I know sometimes it's a tough decision to make when you don't know who you can really trust anymore, but I think deep down, we do. God Bless!