Tuesday, February 17, 2015

THERE’S ALWAYS HOPE


Then again!

If you live in the Northeast, you know what winters here are like, a constant daily dose of overcast days sometimes filled with snow fall and ice, accompanied by sleet and freezing rain. This is the Northeast after all and besides who wants all that sunshine and warmth all the time. How would we ever propagate?

I happen to be a big fan of the winter, I hate the humidity and as long as there is heat in the house, I will enjoy the weather for what it is worth.  I sleep much better in the silence of the heat than the noise of an air-conditioner. My appetite is more robust as is my willingness to do things.

La Principessa
Being I am retired I decide how much loving I want to do about the winter, there is always a trip to Southern California and La Principessa of course and that really warms me up! Then there is the window. Nothing like looking out the window as the snow falls and you have no place to go. All this was not the case when I worked of course, then I hated the snow, the long hours driving 30 miles to work every day and then anther 30 back. It usually took forever, and you had to have eyes in the back of your head while on the road.

But sometimes even I can get sick of it. The week after a major storm and the following days of ice buildup and dreary days, you look on the TV and they forecast a major storm again! You hope to yourself that the storm will miss, and that the weather man is wrong. Hope holds out until the flakes start to come down, then you feel your heart drop and your mood change or swing as they say; then it becomes depressing.

I don’t know if I could enjoy Christmas or Christmas Eve in a warm climate, somehow singing jingle bells in the hot sun and humidity is kind of sad. To me, to go to Florida I might as well just hang it up and wait for the grim reaper. At least when the winter hits, there is the draw of Broadway and the big city, filled with so much to do and see. It is in the winter that I spend most of the time going to off-Broadway shows, enjoying every one of them. Restaurants become more interesting in that they change their menus to seasonal plates and so the variations are wonderful. That is what holds me to the 4 seasons is the tradition of each season is seasonal, if that makes sense to you.

There is nothing like the anticipation of the first day of spring like weather! It invigorates you, puts a bounce in your steps and makes you feel good all over. The coming of summer now has a place and you spend it with the traditions that you grew up with, and just when the heat and humidity becomes too much, there is Fall in the air, a cooling down that is delicious and a look back at the traditions you so loved as a child, Halloween and Thanksgiving and then the big holidays of Christmas and New Years Eve.

How could I ever enjoy college football in the heat? And the NFL, I need my easy chair on the fall afternoon, chips beside me with my nephew screaming at the tube as I make fun of my team.

Baseball needs the lazy afternoons of the summer to watch a lazy high fly ball settle in the glove of the center fielder, a sip of beer and a laid back feeling of contentment.

No, give me the Northeast weather, keep your Florida and I will die happy, not hot and sweating!

As we waited for a bus in the frosty weather, the woman next to me mentioned that she makes a lot of mistakes when texting in the cold.
I nodded knowingly. “It’s the early signs of typothermia.”






LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, it will keep you warm!

1 comment:

Avid reader said...

Totally agree! And to add to that, the "milder" and "later " winters that we do get are NOTHING like when we were children. Snow and cold could start as early as October, and go right through to Easter!! Ice storms that crippled the island, where you didn't even wanna let the dog out! Who had to trek through pounds of snow and wind, to get to a neighbor who had a gas stove, so we could eat? And of course, everyone kept that flashlight ready for night time. It was almost a constant! No, I really don't think the younger generations really knowt how bad the winters on Long Island were. (not to mention we need to kill these germs that are "creeping" back here......) the cold will do it! LOL!! We can all vacation when we need to........:-)