Saturday, March 21, 2015

BEETHOVEN EVERYDAY, ALL DAY!


Jones came into the office an hour late for the third time that week and found the boss waiting for him.

"What's the story this time, Jones?" he asked sarcastically. "Let's hear a good excuse for a change."

Jones sighed, "Everything went wrong this morning, boss. The wife decided to drive me to the station. She got ready in ten minutes, but then the drawbridge got stuck. Rather than let you down, I swam across the river - look, my suit's still damp, ran out to the airport, got a ride on Mr. Thompson's helicopter, landed on top of Radio City Music Hall, and was carried here piggyback by one of the Rockettes."

"You'll have to do better than that, Jones," said the boss, obviously disappointed. "No woman can get ready in ten minutes."


Indeed that was the score so to speak way back when. To graduate from college I needed to design a theme, and mine assigned to me was Beethoven’s 9 Symphonies. I decided to design 9 single album covers, covering each of the symphonies and do so in a creative way.

Eh? Sorry Ludvig.
This project took me many months of listening to Beethoven and appreciating his work, to the point that it became personal. Along the way I discovered that he was deaf to some degree, and being how I am, this intrigued me even more.

The idea that a deaf man could create such brilliance in music was akin to a blind man painting masterpieces. Incredible and extraordinary for any human spirit, the composition of one symphony widely acclaimed was impossible to achieve, 9 from a deaf man is incomprehensible!

So as the music theme was separate symphonies the design theme was each of the ‘numbers’ 1 through 9 would be designed in a unique way, numbers never before seen and yet recognized, conveying the idea that he could not hear his music yet knew it well, so no one knew my representation of the numbers, yet could tell what they are.

Huh?
My work was acclaimed by my design instructor and the school, then photographed, inserted in a magazine article at the time along with a container to hold those LP albums, the cover design picking up the 9th symphony theme with modifications. I wish I could find the slides that were made and the set given to me, but it was so long ago, with moving and what not, they seem to have disappeared. The actually work succumbed to time long ago, sadly.


In 1826 - Beethoven's Quartet #13 in B flat major (Op 130) premiered in Vienna
I thought you’d like to hear it.






LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm



DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, you'll see your music better!








No comments: