Monday, April 13, 2015

IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL


Like the title: “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, a drama film directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Kevin Spacey, and John Cusack, the adaptation of the novel of the same name by author John Berendt”, there will be a battle waging between good and evil in my garden.

It seems that I decided to have a garden, something that old retired guys like me do. I’m thinking of a garden ensemble to go along with it, perhaps a loud floral button down shirt with a pen pocket holder, shorts and sandals with of course, black dress socks to complete the picture. I’m even considering a wide brimmed hat.


Since I don’t want it to be a whole lot of work I wish for something that is manageable, I purchased two large pots to sit on my patio in the sun and there it will be that I make garden history and join the other old men on Long Island. Purchasing two rather large bags of dirt, (yes, I pay for dirt!) I dumped them into the pots and then decided to figure what I wanted to grow, or hope will grow, but alas, I’m my father’s son.

I remember Dad doing it, and poor Dad became adept at watering things, even roping off the area and standing guard waiting for predators to come and try to steal his fruits and veggies. The problem was there was never anything to steal, but water he did, every night, in his white undershirt, shorts and sandals. (With black dress socks, of course) Every evening like clock work, religiously he sat in his lawn chair and hosed down a few square feet of clay, waiting to the expected results that never came. Poor Dad had such faith, if only he could have planted that!



Off I went to Home Depot, that place I hate the most, because it is loud, makes strange noises and always crowded and to the garden section indoors looking for the Burpee display. There was a large selection and all that I wanted. So I decided on Broccoli, (TLW the Little Woman) loves broccoli, with fresh garlic, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice, or baked in an oven at 400 for 40 minutes to an hour with crushed red pepper, minced garlic and olive oil to add to rigatoni, broccoli raab which I love with fresh garlic, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice with a nice steak or in white beans in a wine sauce, Italian basil for fresh pesto and with tomato and mozzarella cheese as an appetizer, green onions for sauté in many dishes and especially in the wok for great Chinese dishes, Radishes to spice up a salad, spinach, my favorite veggie, made with red pepper flakes, olives and tossed in olive oil sautéed to perfection, or in a salad or pasta dish, and last but not least sweet peppers, for pasta dishes, salads and pepper and egg sandwiches in hard crusty Italian bread, just add a little parmesan cheese.

But like I said, this will be a battle of good vs. evil and which wins out depends on me, will I prevail?

Now strategically placed, the garden pots will be up against the house, the sun beating down on them most of the day, and just two steps from my patio door. I will be able to keep a daily eye on the growth as I walk to the pool or go out to the shed, and if I am successful, I will expand the garden onto the property itself somewhere. I didn’t want tomatoes to the mix because who ever heard of a garden without tomatoes? Well you will now.

I may even report from time to time on the progress of the battle between good and evil and give you a report on any tasting I do, assuming there will be something to taste, right Dad?

 



LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm



DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, it's not your garden variety sitcom!





1 comment:

Diana said...

Oh the garden!! Just a little word of caution........we did the "big" garden, did the "grow in pots" garden, which also works out wonderfully......but no matter how much u try to keep a watch on the "critters" who will run off with the "goods", they will stalk that garden in the night, while you're sleeping!!! LOL!!!! (rabbits just love a good salad!)LOL!! Good Luck! Hope it works out!! I'd love to have a "real" nice red fresh tomato for a change!! :-))