Monday, April 27, 2015

MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME


Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Once a year I go pay a visit to a home for people with disabilities. It is a special place in that the people who live there are so friendly and kind, you can’t help but fall in love with them. They are a high functioning bunch of men and women who enjoy life and are proud of their home, and live together like a loving family. I like to bring them something such s cookies, which they enjoy upon returning home from their day program. I wouldn’t think of going to someone’s home without a little something, after all.

When it was under rennovation
Once upon a time the house they live in was somewhat of a mess on the outside, and it looked like an eyesore to the neighbors, so the agency fixed it up and now, in its present state is one of the nicer homes on the street.

People with disabilities living away from family take on an identity of their own that I admire. My daughter Ellen for one left home many years ago and now lives peacefully with her peers, and in doing so has accepted the idea that mom and dad no longer live with her.

My visits once a year are for the benefit of the residents, establishing whether or not they are as comfortable as they can be, is there enough food or space or are things safe for them. Are we the agency maintaining a high standard for the residents in our provisions of health, services and daily support? This is an important job, but it is not the only things we do. We enable the staff to do a better job, when we know what it is they need to do their wonderful works.

I interview a different individual every time I visit this one particular home and get some wonderful answers. In front of me is a set of questions I ask provided by the agency’s audit form that I use. One question I asked was: “Are you happy with the food you get here?” His answer: “I’ll let you know when it isn’t.” I had a hard time not laughing, and yet I hope he does.

Meeting these guys, and advocating for them is really a wonderful blessing in my life, one that will be taken very seriously whenever I do it.





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!









No comments: