Tuesday, April 14, 2015

STUFF HAPPENS


Two college classmates met for the first time in years.
"How goes it with you, Pete?" asked one.
"Not good at all," mourned Pete. "My wife ran away with the mail man, my son is a juvenile delinquent, my bank failed, and all my teeth will have to come out."
"Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that," sympathized the classmate. "What business are you in now?"
"Some old line," answered Pete. "Selling good-luck charms."

Friday, April 14th, 1967 dawned pleasantly that spring day, and I left for classes at the New York Institute of Technology. It would be a life-changing day for me, for by the end of it: my whole world would be turned upside-down!

Around 2:00 pm, I began a life drawing class, and since it was such a beautiful day on a beautiful estate (The Vanderbilt Whitney Estate) the drawing instructor decided to have the class on the large rolling lawn of the art building that overlooked the campus.

Being it was the last class of my day and my buddy Tom’s who also attended the class, we would head out to his car and go home for the weekend. Living in the next town east of Old Westbury, we would get to Hicksville a rented house in less than 20 minutes and we would all head home from there. We would never make it.

As we headed on Old Country Road that late afternoon, the traffic was heavy with commuters heading home for their weekend and so this busy thoroughfare with all the traffic lights would govern the flow. Or so we thought. I sat in the passenger’s seat in the front, next to Tom the driver, a drawing pad on my lap as I casually doodled on the cover of the pad, totally relaxed and happy to be getting home.

As we came to a green light we proceeded to pass it when out of the side of my right view I see this red pickup truck pull out of the side street against the red light and cut us off, causing us to swerve to the right to go around him at a fast pace and slam into a row of parked cars!

When we crashed, I didn’t remember much other than seeing the truck and moving forward and then back again. I looked around me but felt no pain. There next to me on my left was the engine block, sitting between Tom and me..

I felt relieved that nothing had happened I felt my head sweating and when I wiped it, it was blood, suddenly the pain shot from my right ankle, which was facing perpendicular to the from of my leg, and blood seeping from the shoe.  I looked up and saw the windshield had been busted open, where my head went through it. I started to feel faint, and leaned against the block when the door was plied open and this man in a suit reached in and pulled me away from the hot engine and took out a handkerchief and wiped my forehead, but told me not to touch my scalp, there was broken glass in it. Tom was hurt but able to get out of the car.

Soon the ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital where I would have the most miserable of experiences to end my day.

TOMORROW: THE UNSETTLING RESET!





LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should!










No comments: