Sunday, April 26, 2015

WHEN OLD COLLEAGUES GET TOGETHER

-->
Three ministers are talking over lunch and before long find themselves discussing how much of the weekly offering is appropriate to keep and how much to give to the Lord.
The first minister says, "I just draw a line on the floor, put one foot on both sides, and throw the money into the air. Whatever lands on the right side of the line is God's and whatever lands on the left is mine."
The second minister notes that he uses a similar method, but "I use a small coffee table when I throw the money in the air and whatever lands on the table goes to the Lord and whatever lands on the floor is mine." They both contemplate each other's answer and finally turn to the third minister who is sitting there without saying anything. "Well, how do you do it?" asks the first to the third.
"Well, I do as you both do and throw the money into the air, but I figure whatever the Lord wants, he'll grab, and I keep whatever hits the floor."

For years at an old job, I used to on occasion have lunch with different people, where we would discuss things about the job and enjoy a little conversation: it was the best thing about working when you weren’t at the office.

Since I retired, I have been lucky that I can till enjoy their company and laugh myself silly at the same time. The guys are all retired like I am, and we give each other a lift by meeting once in a while.

There is nothing better than to see old friends and enjoy the days gone by once again. To see people from long ago and remember the things I said and did. In a few days I will have lunch with four old cronies from way back in the business world, and it will be like seeing lost brothers. Two really great guys whom if you know them you are glad you do, a lot of laughs and we can relate to each other and the same things.

One fellow is named Pete, who currently still plies his art, that of a photographer, www.petersanchiricophotography.com who has worked for a number of large companies, such as Doubleday and Publishers Clearing House. Pete and I worked together on a few projects, and he never disappointed my company or me.

The other gentleman is named Dominick. Dominick I had the pleasure of working with in the late 90’s when he assisted me by assembling my finished designs and creating a prototype of what things would look like. He retired a production manager at the end of his career. When I called him after 13 years it went like this:

“Hello”
“Hello, Dominick?”
“Yeah?”
“It’s been 13 years, when the hell are my comps going to be ready?”

There was a long pause, then a laugh of recognition as he asked me
“Joe, how the hell are you?”

These two guys put some of the highlights to my career that would not be there otherwise. They are earthy souls, the kind of people that don’t bother with or care for, yet respect protocol. They are good people, my kind of people. They make me laugh and are interesting people.

They really make it worth-while in that they act like a married couple heading for a divorce, once the children move out. They argue about things like use of the cell phone: who is paying for the lunch since the other forgot his wallet, or the lack of technological sophistication by the other who is too old to want to know about such things. Remarks about hours they keep, where they eat or when, are all flavorfully blended with obscenities, jokes about their ability to have sex, or the ugliness of their faces.

For me, this is just a way to return to those days of yesteryear, when we all longed for those 4-hour lunches, but instead today, we have to get back as we say.






LOOKING FOR GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN?


Address: 1231 Taft Hwy, Signal Mountain, TN 37377
Hours: Open today · 10:00 am – 6:00 pm


DO YOU WATCH THE BIG BANG THEORY?
You should, you'll keep your old friends!










No comments: