Sunday, September 20, 2015

BACI LANGUAGE


THE KISS (BACI LANGUAGE)

It was a vacant lot that sat between to apartments in the middle of the block. If you passed it, you didn’t notice it much except to say it is vacant. But for such a sight, the grass somehow mixed with some kind of crushed stone, a grayish caste on it was evident. But come Sunday afternoons in the late spring through the early fall: it was a hangout for old men. The lot was an arena to contest personal skills.

About 6 older men would appear, with rolled up sleeves and Di Napoli Cigars perched in their mouth, they would mechanically toss this small black ball toward a gaggle of balls that sat at the other end, and as they tossed each on with surgical-like precision, a slew of Italian curse words kept it to the rhythm and help it along, where it would finally rest at or in some cases next to the aimed at ball. A chattering of laughter and Italian emoted from this small crowd, as they applauded or derided the attempt of the rivals toll.

These wonderful old gentlemen had carried their love for life from the dinner table to the Baci court, a glass of wine in hand.

Sometimes if I was outside at Bacci time, I would lean against the chain-linked fence and try to figure out what it was you needed to do, but at 7 0r 8 years of age I never understood it because my observations inevitably led to the cast of characters that brought the game alive.

In my fascination one Sunday afternoon, after my macaroni dinner with meatballs, bragiola salad and roasted chicken, and a couple of slices of orange from the pitcher of grandpa’s wine, I headed downstairs to that magical world of my childhood and once again came upon the Baci game in progress. One old gentleman was in fine form, letting off a slew of words I did not understand, and one stood out the most. I decided to ask Dad what it meant, and so returned to the apartment and found Dad half asleep on the couch watching the Dodgers. Mom was in the kitchen cleaning up and so I announced loudly:

MOM'S WORD FOR THE WOODEN SPOON
“Dad, what does %#*)^# mean?”
Dad jumped out of his skin and Mom came running with a wooden spoon yelling:
“Where did you learn to say that?” laying the wooden spoon across my butt suddenly. “DON’T YOU EVER USE THAT LANGUAGE IN THIS HOUSE (Whack) you understand me? And if you do I’ll give you the rest!” (Whack)

To this day I have yet to use it, however I do incorporate similar sentiments when addressing frustrations on my own. Baci was a lesson learned from the wooden spoon, a lesson many a young Italian-American boy learned.

My parents did love me, and I have the wooden spoon BUMPS to prove it.



No comments: