Sunday, January 03, 2016

ITS HANDICAPPED!


Don’t get me wrong: once I’m in it, I love it. That is the gym. I awaken each morning and decide when I will go to the gym to get a workout. It is an intense 40 minutes on the treadmill with occasional wandering off to do resistance and cardio exercises. I love it once I am there, a certain comfort and when I wake up, I look for excuses not to go.

If this sounds confusing, let me explain: I HATE TO EXERCISE, BUT DO IT ANYWAY! Pretty dumb, the reasons not to go stem from; I didn’t get enough sleep to I have a long day and will not be at my best at the end of it. But I get this guilt feeling that compels me at some point to get in my gym gear and go. Once I check into the building I get comfort from the workout and a high when I pull away from the building when I go home.

Feeling extra high the other day, as I walked to my car, I noticed that the parking lot now has 4 new handicapped parking spaces in front of the gym! To enter the building, open the front doors (2 sets) and go to either the equipment or bikes etc, one must either climb down 27 steps or work across this large room. Neither the; step up from the parking lot or the doors are handicapped accessible, and all the equipment is not handicapped friendly.

I know there must be some insane law put out by NY State that warrants or should I say mandates putting in handicapped spaces to park cars in front of gyms, but I can’t for the life of me understand it. I know two things: 1) It must be State mandated because it doesn’t make sense and 2) It doesn’t make sense so it must be State mandated. I don’t like to pick on the State, but when you deal with them you just know the results will not make sense.

Then it dawned on me: The handicapped parking spaces are there for a reason! The first day of the New Year all the New Year resolutions begin for the overweight, who work out vigorously to the point of crippling themselves and then qualify fr the handicapped parking. Boy! The State sure is thinking ahead!

No comments: