Monday, February 29, 2016

FINDING THE RIGHT WORDS…

-->
Or at least remembering how to say them.

She sits and waits everyday in hopes that her ‘date’ will show up. Lost in her world of days gone by, you can see in her eyes she had a past, one filled with meaning and purpose, that somehow was taken away from her in some kind of tragic event. I’ll never know what that was, nor will I ever ask, that would have to come from her without my asking. She is alone and needs something in her life to look forward to so there is some meaning in it. We need to be friends on an equal basis, not out of pity but out of respect for her being a human being in need of help.

Cora, my new reading audience of one, likes the sessions we spend together. She has a sharp memory short term as well as long, and yet cannot finish a sentence because she can’t form all her words correctly. I am going to try to find out if she is eligible for speech therapy and for her to get some. Maybe with that she will have a smoother way to communicate.

I did find out her birthday: January, and that she likes Chinese and Italian food, so on occasion she will get some from me as time allows for me to bring it. I have to look into the dentist who was supposed to visit her last week and find out what happened there.

I’m doing this because she is a kind individual with no life. If you count the wheel chair and rehab as a life, then it is like I said: no life. We all need something to look forward to, no matter how little it is, or we die while breathing. I’m not a church goer anymore, so I look to do good works where I can, it is time better spent than in a building surrounded by worshipers and rituals that become meaningless to me because they fail me the time I am not in church, and I fail myself thinking because I go, I’ll be on the fast track to Heaven.

But Cora has understood that there is nothing she needs to give, just receive, because she is truly in need with a legitimate cause. Today I will read to her another chapter of Harper Lee’s ‘GO SET A WATCHMAN’, we will converse before and after I read, she will get to know me better and I will continue to get to know her.

Meanwhile, Ellen my daughter is recovering just fine, eating everything and still ornery as ever. She has made friends and seems very contented where she is, and the agency God bless them all, still helps us and supports our daughter. My family right now is blessed, we have rid ourselves of the people we thought loved us and have found new life in strangers.

2 comments:

Angela said...

That is a most beautiful photo of Ellen. I'm so happy to hear she is improving and in loving, healing care.

Anthony said...

Great blogue and great picture of Ellen.