Friday, September 16, 2016

JUST LIKE SIR WINSTON SAID!

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." - Sir Winston Churchill


The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu129864.html
Sir Winston Churchill while Prime Minister for the second time, in the early 1950’s said after his stroke in 1954, that getting old was not for the faint-hearted.

TLW (The Little Woman) and I are now sharing like we have never shared before! Yes, two old marrieds are still sharing, but instead of love, ice cream or pizza, we are sharing aches and pains we experience. So after 45 years of marriage, we are still sharing.

As you know spice is the variety of life, as they say, and I have spiced up my descriptions but will not here. Getting up out of our chairs, it becomes an adventure to negotiate the move, seeking somewhere to hold on; ‘just in case’! These chairs are important since they hold us in place and keep us from keeling over.

Coming down from my shower, I get my coffee and announce my latest brush with old-age as I lower my tookest into my chair.

“Oh! What a night! Woke up at 9:00 PM! (We’re old, get over it.) Had to get out of bed and come down here to get an Advil or two. Pain from my lower back to my knee, and that was the good side; the bad side? Oh, how that hurt!”

But that is not the end of it, no siree! TLW then plays her hand and sees my ache and raises me a pain, giving the description and all pertinent information that would fill the logs of a clinic.

Now if you are not old, then you won’t understand the need for older people to case each room they are in, each building, to ascertain where the toilets are! Don’t laugh, it is a fact, and some day you can come to an oldster to help you do the same.

The other day I had a meeting, where I knew I would be there for a while. In the morning I had my usual breakfast of corn flakes and medications and an hour before going to the meeting, I ate a pear to carry me over until I got out of the meeting sometime after 1:00 PM. As I sat in the meeting I discovered I had to pee, immediately if not sooner, and couldn’t leave because the meeting was important enough to not want to miss anything, and besides, I was chairing it with invited guests addressing the committee. But if that wasn’t enough, the sensation of gas (I must have eaten the pear too quickly) begging me to shall we say: “Let it goooooo” was pressing too. Sitting next to this young woman who was making her presentation from an insurance company, I wondered what would happen if I just let it seep rather than one big explosion. I thought better of this crudeness and continued the brave fight. Needless to say, once the meeting was over, the chills and shakes of the experience were alleviated.

The fact that I even discuss these things in a public way means that I have indeed reached old-age! Nothing embarrasses me anymore, I don’t give a damn about what people think, and my future was a great one, but the book was closed long ago on that.

So if you are planning on getting old, here is a tip that should ease the way: try to stay in bed in the morning, and if you must get up, try to stay near the nearest toilet.


The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu129864.html

No comments: