Thursday, December 29, 2016

I’M STILL SWEATING!

If there is one thing I hate it is the summer humidity. It generally takes me until December to start to get over the idea that humidity makes me nuts.

Many years ago, when I worked for a living, I was always off-season, kind of like a ballplayer who plays in the summer and it is winter. Marketing plans were constantly being set up for six months down the road. Sitting in my short sleeves, in my air-conditioned office, people were asking me to get into the holiday spirit!

Try setting up a scene for Christmas with a photographer who walks around in sandals and shorts while you try to make it cold looking. Thinking of products like blankets or boots or even heavy overcoats becomes a monumental task, almost repulsive.

To get around these problems, I would go back to my childhood and think about the Christmas or two I spent in Brooklyn and how magical it seemed. The thought of the smell of a new tree with its natural pine scent, the big fat tree lights strung around the tree and even the tinsel and Christmas balls hung so gaily and with thought.

There was the Nativity scene placed under the tree, a very beautiful one with life-like figures and the manger made in Italy, the pray my Mom would place behind the nativity, framed and put there year after year. This was the start of my creativity: these memories were the catalyst that brought me beyond the blank page! My family in a sense was helping me design for the holidays in the middle of July!

I have come to appreciate the cold weather, the lack of humidity and the uncomfortable feeling of the summer heat. I love the winter, find it always helpful in doing anything creative. I usually paint, draw, cook and write my best in the winter, and I think it stems from my issues of winter in July, and the idea that I am no longer there.

No comments: