Saturday, December 24, 2016

LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY

As a kid growing up in Brooklyn, Christmas Eve was a nervous night. The anticipation of Santa coming was just like getting my report card. The agony was compounded by not only how well I did in my school work, but how good I was during the year! The past crimes kept popping up time and time again, recalling all the times Mom chased me around the dining room table with her wooden spoon.

Having an older sister who would get everything because she was so good, and I would be shamed because I got nothing, ate away at me for the few hours before the arrival of Santa. Not being a worrier as I got into trouble, or trouble found me, was not to be worried about until the time came.

If I slipped during the 24th of December, Mom would say: "OHHHH, Santa is commmminnnng, just wait, WAIT until you get coal or NOTHING for Christmas!"  These crushing words would cause me to freeze in my tracks, throw myself down at Mom's feet, holding onto her ankles and begging for her intervention. She was always ‘Iffy' and would say she would look to see how the rest of the day went.

Dad never had much to say, Mom never gave him a chance to. As far as he was concerned, he was a disinterested party. All Dad had to do was show up when he was needed, usually at Mom's bidding.

But Christmas would come the next morning! The anticipation was growing as the closer I got to the dining room where the tree would stand, next to a fireplace. There under the tree was my sister's gifts… right next to mine!

Talk to you Monday!

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY HANUKA!

No comments: