Tuesday, July 04, 2017

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

There are many privileges in life, but not one rate as well and as high as the privilege of living in this great country of ours. Our grandparents knew it when they choose to come here and our parents reinforced it by teaching us to appreciate and love this land of freedom. God has blessed us as a people, and maybe he did because he saw America as the one place in the world where love for your fellow man was possible, blending white, black, red and yellow into one people, one nation under God, a melting pot if you will.

It seems to me that all these years I’ve lived as a child, student, and adult, the constant has always been freedom and God first, the very reasons we are blessed. I see the old-timers from the Second World War and I am filled with pride and joy. I give thnks for the Viet Nam Vet, the Korean hero and of course the last two Gulf war men and women who answered the call to defeat of Isis. Thank God that these men and women exist.

Patriotism seems to be corny nowadays, almost embarrassing. The so-called sophisticated can’t deal with it and will squash it if they see it. Ridiculing what we loved and cherished as a flag is taboo.

Yet every time I see an old movie like Yankee Doodle Dandy, and I see the flag, the Grand Old Flag waved, I get goose bumps, when I see one fly so high on a pole as it waves to all in sight, there is a lump in my throat, when a soldier or sailor or flyer goes by, I thank God, they are the chosen ones to protect and defend the Constitution, young men, and women who are more capable of doing such tasks than any other nation in the world.

I’m sure the flag will be back in vogue, that it will once again get the respect it deserves, and that those who don’t think so will appreciate it most of all.

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!

No comments: