Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I ONLY TAKE THE FREE

Mine is pearl in color
A few days ago, I went to have my car serviced. I have a very nice Toyota, Prius, and have had Toyota since 1991 when I decided I couldn't trust the American cars for dependability and go with a Camry. I rented a Prius when I went out to California and found it to my liking. I've owned the Rav 4, the Corolla and other Camry and Prius models.

I made an early morning appointment at 7:30 am so that I could complain to myself why anyone retired would get up at an unusual hour to go somewhere he doesn't necessarily need to go to.

Arriving I was first on line and awaited the service people to tell me what to do. Something like second wives, or at least it feels like it.

"Good morning, sir, how are you today, pleasepullovertolane3and waitforthedoorstoopenthendriveallthewayuptothestopsign,someonewillbewithyoushortly."

I hate when they call me: ‘shortly.' I didn't even get to tell him how was today! (Tired)

One of the things I needed to discuss with them was the tire indicator light. Not that I like to talk about tire indicator lights, but they keep me awake when driving, and did pop on one day. I used to have a 08 Prius that did the same thing when the temperature changed from hot to cold, the light would go on or off, depending on it its mood.

I pull up, all the way, at the stop sign, just like I was told, shut off the engine, or it might have been the motor, I'm not sure anymore, and waited. Suddenly, there is a shadow hovering over me and it is the service manager, in a red shirt and a business attitude, who invites me into his little office. He sits down and invites me to sit, which is very kind of him, after all, I am going to anyway, and who knows, at my age might even lay down.

"You here for a routine service?"

"Yes, I understand it is free. By the way, there is a tire light indicator that stays on, but nothing seems wrong with the tires! I had that problem with my 08 Prius, is that a common problem with the Prius?"

Well, I could have said his mother was a hooker and he would have looked at me the same way. Brow furrowed, eyes bulging and a sudden stiffening of the back, casting out his stomach further than his chest he replies.

"Sir, usually there is a nail or object that causes the light to go on, as well as changing temperatures and pressure on the tires from driving over periods of time, it is not a fault of Toyota!"

So, there!

He is filling out a form and then hands it to me with a charge of $48 on it, and would I please sign it. This is in case there is a nail in the tire and they need to fix it. I could go to my mechanic who "can't fix these new cars anymore because of them electronics and everything with the computers they put in them!"

I sign, sure that I learn the lesson well, nothing is ‘FREE', except the advice my wife gives me. (If it was money I'd be rich, and my chauffeur would be handling this service with Toyota, or maybe Mercedes Benz.

I go into the waiting area, as instructed and take out my I-pad, to read my book (A Gentleman from Moscow) and an hour later my service manager arrives and we go to the pay window, where he informs me that there was a nail in the tire about the size of a telephone pole, or perhaps an inch long, either way, it costs me $48!

He tells me that they now have free car wash! (This of course something I needed, and embarrassingly, I had never done.) I get more instructions and am told how to get there and I do. I pull up to the car wash door and the kid takes a code I was given and they pull me up to the line. This is free.

"DO YOU WANT THE WAX, TOO?"

"The wax? That doesn't come with the car wash!?"

"NO SIR, THAT'S $4".

"How much is the water???"

"THAT'S FREE!"

"Give me Free only."

Hey, $48 dollars to take out a stinking nail that my mechanic can do for $12!"


No comments: