Saturday, August 26, 2017

I’M STARTING TO SCARE MYSELF!

During the week and part of the weekend, I do the cooking. It never pleases me to cook the same old thing, especially since I have the choice to make what I want. When I started to cook many years ago I followed recipes and or instructions, now, I experiment with things and am finding that whatever it is I want from a dish I can somehow coax out of it with the established ingredients I prefer.

Believe me, when I say I am not bragging, I’m not. I am pleased that I have the confidence to do such things and offer the variety to TLW (The Little Woman) so that she never knows what she will be getting when she arrives home.

I think I have a competitive spirit somewhat, and a creative bent. I have loved to try different things in the kitchen when it comes to cooking and do. I took a recipe for Broccoli rabe that is an old Italian recipe and took it to a ‘new level’ as they say. The results were that it was better than the main course.

Many years ago, my grandmother ran an Italian restaurant and pizzeria in Brooklyn. My parents ran a kitchen way back immediately after World War II in Bellport, NY in the Bellport Hotel. They were all amazing cooks and the cooking was done in a casual atmosphere of calm and confidence, and now I think they all would be proud of me for my ability to mimic them. It is an art I love and will gladly cook, and I have developed along the way, my own techniques.

No comments: