Sunday, November 19, 2017

ALL ABROAD THE EXPRESS LANE


(12 items or less)

Took a ride to the store the other afternoon to purchase some sausage for a pasta dish I wanted to eat.

Simple ingredients were purchased: sweet Italian sausage, pasta, and some crushed tomatoes. This purchase qualifies me for the elite line, the 12 or fewer items line. This is a very exclusive line, people with more than 12 items have to get in line behind other over-buyers.

As I joined the 12 I o L (12 items or less) line, I feel a certain sense of exhilaration as I see a few people ahead of me and I imagine myself flying out of the supermarket in no time!

In front of me is a nice lady with a few items, patiently waiting to move forward. We are not moving very fast on the express line! In fact, in the express lane is the slowest checkout person I have ever met. A lady who seems to be in quicksand with her arms either paralyzed or somehow restricted is checking out slower than if she didn't have a scanner to help her.

SLOOOOOWLY, she scans an item, SLOOOOOWLY she puts it aside, SLOOOOOWLY she reaches for the next item and SLOOOOOWLY she starts all over again. Then SLOOOOOWLY, ever so SLOOOOOWLY, she begins to pack the items, SLOOOOOWLY. SLOOOOOWLY she turns to the register and SLOOOOOWLY gives out the tape to the purchaser. This goes on for each customer.

The lady in front of me looks to start a conversation. She tugs on her coat and says she hopes the coat will be warm enough as it will get cool this afternoon. I advise the lady that she should not worry about that, she should worry about when she gets out of this store finally, the coat is not too heavy for July.

No comments: