Saturday, November 25, 2017

OLD HABITS NEVER DIE…

Like me, they just fade away.

The other day I was in a meeting with the CEO, CFO, Chair of the Pension Committee and two gentlemen who manage the pension fund for my agency. As we progressed through the various numbers and asked all our questions, we needed to determine the next meeting date.

The two representatives of the pension fund management immediately went to their I-phones and began to scan their calendars for an open date. This old guy reached for his pocket appointment book for a more secure feeling to memorialize the date. Someone at the table mentioned to me that I was still ‘Old school' and indeed I am.

I don't trust electronic devices of most kinds. I feel that sometimes they fail me, for instance: using the phone calendar as opposed to the pocket calendar. Both will record the date, but; the e-date may become compromised by phone failure. The pocket calendar just sits there and there is no chance for failure unless you lose it, but then again, you can lose your I-phone too.

So as a coach or manager of a sports team, I go to the old reliable, the thing I have the most experience with paper.

No comments: