Tuesday, December 26, 2017

WHO I MISS

In my lifetime there were many people that crossed my path, making huge impressions and moving me to do for others that I would want to be done to me. These are people with an innate goodness that is not openly expressed with words but by actions. I can point to my wife as one, whose actions always seem to be out of love, something I feel blessed with.

Many years ago, over 50, one man came into the lives of my family and took a coat with the sentiment of FAMILY ONLY and wore it well, he became a wonderful addition to the family, although I think he was really just late in getting there, he was always family.

He was my brother-in-law and was actually the brother I wished I had. When he married into the family, we all became more joined, more complete. Funny thing is how different he was being Polish, but that didn't stop us, no we went on and made the best of that by teasing him out of love, and he knew it. His name was John, and that was good, we didn't have any John in the family.

John was always there for you if you needed him, he gave his all for his family and we gave our all for him. Today is his birthday, a day I will always celebrate in my heart and soul because he was a good and decent man. Although it is sad, I am grateful to have been with him when he passed away. I held his hand as he suffered through his final hours and minutes. When the nurse administered the morphine, I prepared myself to say goodbye, his family surrounding him in those moments.

As those final moments took place, I remembered that on his birthday, he would buy everyone in his family a present, yes, he had so much love for his family that he couldn't get presents because his heart was too full of love for them. Each was a separate love that experienced separate circumstances, he was a great father and husband.

Happy Birthday, John, I still miss you.

No comments: