Sunday, January 21, 2018

IT SOMETIMES GETS SCARY!

Tessie, Woody Allen, John and little Laurie Ann in 1970
A few days ago the World seemed to spin out of control. It was Tuesday afternoon and I thought I'd sit and relax, turn off my computer and not think about anything, just wait for dinnertime.

Then my phone rang.

My older sister (Much older) Tessie called with the bad news of the day.

First, there was the news of a death of someone I always enjoyed seeing, was a gentleman to the core and happened to be my brother-in-law John's older brother. He is Tessie's deceased husband. He was slipping away with dementia over the past 5 years and living in a nursing home dying peacefully in his sleep. His name is Frank and he was one of the courageous that fought on Guadalcanal in the Pacific theater.

Then the news that another gentleman, Joe O'Hara, a wonderful guy who I would see on holidays, who happens to be my niece Lauri Ann's father-in-law and the neighbor of Tessie is in the hospital with a blockage that the doctors can't seem to clear because the blockage is too close to his main artery. At 86 years of age, he has been feeling somewhat less than usual. He always shares wonderful memories with me whenever we meet.

Then I find out my partner in a book I am collaborating on got the news of a death of a childhood friend.

Will this stop soon?

No comments: