Thursday, January 18, 2018

REINVENTING THE WHEEL

Went into my car the other day to pick up in the back seat. Looking down into the well I see these two items, one is a toy donut and the other is a wrapping paper tube left over from all the gift wrapping. The toy donut and tube brought me back fondly to the past Christmas and my beautiful family, particularly my granddaughter, Darby Shea.

There is nothing that my little granddaughter can do that is wrong. There is so much this kid does that is right. She has the magic and intellect to be a creature, an imaginative engineer of mind over matter. She is loving, considerate and not only smart but has a sense of order in her life. She is not a child of this age, but of all ages.

Let me explain.

For Christmas, between her maternal grandparents, paternal grandparents and parents, she was the recipient of toys, toys and more toys, coupled with what she has at home, it is a lot of toys. All were unwrapped and appreciated, yet it was the inventiveness of her heritage, the childhood of all those in her life who once were children, she took a simple toy, a discarded household item and combined them for her inventive mind to create a new toy! Her head was not buried in an electronic game to babysit her for any real measurable period of time. No, instead she was expanding her great mind to entertain herself because she saw possibilities and her inventiveness was demanding from her, and she produced.



The two items became many things in tandem, sliding the donut over the tube, spinning the donut on it, rolling it and watching it do so many things, it was fun to watch. She is what we all were once when there were no electronic babysitters, taking boxes and creating rocket ships, which she was doing on Facetime recently!

I hope I can live a very long time, I want to see how more beautiful she'll get, and what incredible things she will do for this world.

Yes, I'm a proud grandpa, please forgive me.


No comments: