Wednesday, January 03, 2018

WHO IS THAT?


Getting old is an ordeal that slowly creeps upon us without fanfare, just subtle reminders and hints of what we will become at the end. People worry about how they look and how old age will treat them. Me, I don’t care. I have nothing to prove at my age, I am what I am and look like what I look like. You either like me for that or just make your life more pleasant and move on.

I have a lot of empathy for older people. I see them struggle to bend down and pick something up off the ground, or walk just a little way and realize, I’m starting to have those problems too.

On December 29th of last year or last week, TLW (The Little Woman) and I went to Penn Station to meet #2 Son for dinner to celebrate his birthday. It is his 30th, and for 30 years we have taken him out for dinner. The night was frigid, and as old people, we really didn’t wish to leave the comfort of our chairs for the frigidity of the cold and the Long Island Railroad. Suddenly it struck me that maybe we could help ourselves if we managed to meet #2 and his main squeeze Julie in the Penn Station and look for a restaurant, never leaving the station and keeping warm. That was the plan, stay inside as much as possible.

Arriving at Penn Station at a predetermined meeting place, I suggested to him that we look for a station restaurant. Penn Station is a large place that houses a few railroads and indeed does have restaurants to sit and eat in. #2 Son said he was hoping we would suggest that.

So, after checking the LIRR portion of the station, we went upstairs to the next level that houses I think Amtrak and found Kabooz’s Bar and Grille, a place of great food and noise. The noise level is so great that my young son and his squeeze both had trouble hearing! TLW too felt the noise level and remarked. But for an old fart like myself, I actually got accustomed to it! ME! ACCUSTOMED TO LOUD NOISE! While I’m EATING? Get out of here! But let me tell you, maybe it was what I had, Red Chili Crusted Sea Scallops, mixed baby greens with mango and tortilla shreds tossed in an orange vinaigrette, topped with grilled Chili crusted scallops took my mind off of the noise.

Leaving the restaurant and walking downstairs to the railroad we stayed indoors and the only outdoor walking we did was from our car to the train station in Ronkonkoma and again from the Ronkonkoma train station to our car going home.

I guess it is good to be old, you figure out more ways to make your life bearable.

No comments: