Saturday, May 19, 2018

HATS AND THE MAD HATTER


As I write this I am watching the Royal Wedding on the Tellie. The bride is on her way to Windsor Castle in a black sedan and all the celebrities have arrived. The stage of royal grandeur is set and all the actors are at their stations, ready to perform on the stage.

Actually, it is great that we are witnessing something of this happy magnitude after all the garbage we have as a nation subjected ourselves to with the nonsense that prevails in Washington. And we can take pride in the event since it includes an American citizen who is half responsible for the occasion.

Elton John, George Clooney, Oprah, and the likes are all in attendance as American’s rise at 4:00 AM eastern time to witness this event on their own TV screens. They also witness the fact that they didn’t plan a wedding of such magnitude without politicians from anywhere.

I for one am happy to know that the Rev. Curry from I believe, South Carolina, an Episcopal bishop gave such a wonderful and expressive sermon on what is the most important thing we need in this World; Love. When Mom was getting older and no longer the physical being she once was, I spent my time up until the day she died, visiting her and making her laugh. We walked down the old neighborhoods, spoke of the old relatives and spent the moments connecting as mother and child. I understood that I could only do this while she was living, that nothing I would do after her death would be of use to her living spirit when she needed me most. I did all I could that her soul would rest in peace and mine would be guilt free for lack of love. The moments immediately after her passing there was an understanding that she was now with me eternally, her presence would be deep in my soul, that what cemented it was love, for her, and her love for me. Praying over her earthly body had no meaning, being with her while she was alive was more important.

I watched as the Bride Meghan’s mother who was at the center of this moment, a black woman and how proud she must have been for her daughter, humbly fight back the tears, I thought, you must have been a great mom, a prince reached out to your daughter from across the ocean and through your good examples and upbringing, made it all possible indirectly.

Most importantly, it breached the divide that separates the white race from the black race and made it the Human Race once again.

Underlining this whole event was the number of hats that were paraded by on some of the women in attendance, some looking like they were made in a hurry.

No comments: