Thursday, June 07, 2018

IT’S BEEN A WHILE

I learned early on that if you don’t have anything to say, don’t say it. One of my passions late in life is writing, and that is because of this blog. I always had a want to express myself in written form, but never formally did, mainly because I was an artist first. Being an artist is a different form of expression, and although poetic in its own right, writing gives me a whole new dimension.

I never really cared for the construction of sentences until I became involved in writing for an advertising agency and learned that the old adage is: sell the sizzle, not the steak. It means you can successfully get anyone to buy anything they don’t need by the way you sell it. I mean, what could be better than to sit in your pool on a rubber float, the bar-b-q going with steaks on the grill, during a late summer afternoon or early evening, a Tom Collins in hand and maybe a few corn-on-the cobs waiting for you. You anticipate a cold beer once you climb out of the pool to go along with the smell of the steak and life is suddenly good.

There is a lot that has happened these last few days both personally and on the world scene, much of it monumental. The best and biggest news is the waiting for the birth of my grandson who is expected any day now, or should I say any moment?

There is the craziness of Washington D.C., and the shocking news that it wasn’t the British that burned the White House down in the War of 1812, but those Canadians up north!

I am currently writing a book called: A PLACE CALLED BROOKLYN, a romp through one of Brooklyn’s neighborhoods by a child, the people he meets, the games he learns and the lessons that teach him that life isn’t always grand. You dear reader will experience it first hand as he meets friends and relatives and suffers the indignities of being wet behind the ears, innocent and adventurous, all at once.

I am near completion of the book and hope to go to press by the end of the month.


No comments: