Saturday, December 29, 2018

IT ISN’T WHAT IT USED TO BE!


As I get older the world gets smarter, leaving me behind as I desperately try to catch up. When the computer became a fixture in the home, the first one I thought about was my Dad and how he would have marveled at its cleverness.

As the world progressed since then there is the cell phone and its development to a complex set of tools that replaced a camera, calendar, watch, timer and dozens of other things to simplify our lives. There are spell check and even translators within moments of need and still, the hits keep coming.

Who can remember before the GPS when maps were used as a guidance system and a rich source of arguments between husbands and wives in the family horseless carriage? Now it is a rich source of arguments between the GPS and wives in the family horseless carriage as we husbands just follow orders.

The flat screen TV is a reality as much as it once seemed to be a dream that TV was that thin and in color. No tubes!? Impossible to have a TV without tubes, what on Earth would my Dad do with his treasured box of TV tubes: (“I got every tube type under the sun!”) Obviously he never got out much.

Well, TV has made even greater strides, with remotes and special offerings such as Apple TV and FireTV with the FireTVstick, that brings you movies and specials at a flip of the remote, eliminating all remotes but the one!

Today was an ambitious day for me. I installed Echo Dot with Alexa (Another woman) telling me something. You say: “Alexa, what time is it?” And she replies either the correct time or says: “Look at the clock on the wall stupid, it right under your Italian nose! Geez! If it was food you would probably not need to ask!” And of course, there is Siri, another woman telling me off. You must be careful not to mention Siri when you mean Alexa. I have another Echo Dot to install yet upstairs, which is good as I can ask: “Alexa, why am I up so late watching this stupid TV show???”

No comments: