Wednesday, December 12, 2018

THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE

It will be six months next week since that awful day in June when my family lost a very beautiful and creative mother, wife and daughter-in-law Courtney, to a tragic circumstance, leaving us on the delivery table at the birthing of her beautiful son.

That awful day sits indelibly in my mind and between the divide of my heart, it has drawn a pall or curtain across my soul, incomprehensible and shocking still to this day.

The events of June have taken a significant toll on my wife and me: we have lost a lot of enthusiasm and enjoyment for life. The usual things, such as music, entertainment, and even food has lost its taste, with that comes the Holidays and the joy of the season it usually brings.

Last Christmas was the best I ever had. I decorated the house including my little granddaughter’s room where she was to sleep. That room was her daddy’s bedroom before he moved away and I made sure it said: Merry Christmas, Darby!

When she arrived her mom remarked about how the house looked like a shrine to Darby with all the pictures on the walls of her. Little Darby went up to her room and came down very excited.

“Daddy, you see my room!”
“I used to sleep in it, that was my room.”
“No Daddy, you should see it now!”

I decorated the rooms with snow villages, 2 Christmas trees, wreaths, and garland, pinecones, electric trains and whatever else I could find. The tree had old ornaments that the kids had made so many years ago, and we had a magnificent dinner, with my quick-witted daughter-in-law.

That was last year, when I was rich with joy and love about my family as I always am, all my children, my grandchild and her mommy, Courtney, who will always be in my heart, along with grandma.

This year I have lost all that. I have decided not to decorate and don’t care that I didn’t, don’t want to and just want to forget everything I can for the big day until I get out to California and see Darby Shea, and Bobby Courtney once again.

No comments: